Bye Bye Automatic

There is way too much to do. I will never complete this project.

Okay, enough Stewart Smalley. I've made some good progress, but damn there's lots left to do. Seems like for each hour of accomplishment, I find 4 hours of work that I hadn't planned on.

Spent entirely too much time making the PCM bracket. This will be installed on the verical surface to the right of the passenger footwell. I cut a big hole in the firewall for the PCM connectors to pass thru. There's just enough harness to reach the PCM in this location.

The T56 is in. I had to make a new mount, but it only took me an hour or so this time. Holy crap is there lots of room for exhaust now. It's a much narrower transmission. No comparison. I did actually make some progress on the exhaust - just no pictures. I now have to send my PCM off for reprogramming. It's just as well since I would have had to cobble together that BCM unit, O2 sims, etc.

ECMBracket2
PCM Bracket
ECMBracket3
PCM Bracket
ECMBracket4
PCM Bracket
SlaveCyl T56 LS1
Mod
SlaveCyl T56 LS1 Modified

I removed the freaky GM fitting from the slave by knocking out the hollow pin that holds it in place.

The drill and tap sizes will depend on the fitting you use. I just used a fitting that I happened to have lying around and then matched it up to a tap and then used the appropriate drill. Woulda been better to have used a longer fitting. I drilled out the hole in the slave with a 7/16 bit and then tapped it.

SlaveCylT56LS1Mod3
Drilled and tapped for fitting

I used a bubble flared piece of tubing and retained the little rubber squish washer at the end. My fitting was somewhat short and the hole fairly deep, so, I needed everything I could get to make up the difference.

I used a 3/4 inch Master Cylinder, wilwood part number 260-1304.

I tested mine on the bench and it didn't leak.

T56Mount
T56 Mount
T56Mount3
T56Mount
T56Mounted
T56 Mounted
T56 Mount
Interference
T56MountedInterference
T56Shifter
T56Shifter
T56Mounted
T56 Mounted
T56Mounted4
T56 Mounted

The actual mount is a poly Energy Suspension unit that I bought at Autozone for $30. The bracket/crossmember I built. I had built a similar one previously (as documented briefly here ) for the Auto. This corresponded to welding some nuts to some 16ga steel squares which were then bolted to the new (now old and unused) bracket which was bolted to the automatic which was then positioned in place. Then I welded the steel plates in (I had to drill out some holes for those welded on nuts to fit into on the tunnel).

The T56 mount location is different. So, I didn't want to redo the tunnel welding. I shaped up that new bracket with the old bracket as a reference, the wider tail area of the T56 and the farther back mount point as new requirements and then counted on alot of luck. I decided to make the horiz. about 1/2 inch lower - just a random figure outta my ass. I drilled the 4 bracket mount holes a bit larger (1/2 instead of 7/16) to allow for some play and then bolted this bent up strip in place under the trans. I then bolted this flexible-ish piece in the tunnel and rested the tranny tail on it. Measured the driveline angles and got really lucky. So, now the thing is in there - had to bend it around a bit to get the holes to line up. I cut some more pieces offa the bar stock to use as supports - and then welded them in. The heat of the welding (along with the actual supports) froze the bracket in the exact shape needed. Took it off, cleaned it up, ground away some arcs for the exhaust pipes to pass under and painted it.


<Back a step< <Back to 240z.jeromio.com>  >>Next step>>

All images Copyright 2006, Jeremy Roth, All rights reserved.